In an effort to always provide valuable financial tools and benefits, we’re transitioning our debit cards from MasterCard to Visa.
As the transition approaches, we will post updates to this page. Stay tuned for more details and be on the lookout for your new Visa debit card.
What this change means for you
Your new Visa card will be arriving by April 17, 2023.
- This new Visa debit card will replace your current card and should be activated as soon as you receive it
- Once activated, your current card will no longer work
- After 30 days your current card will be automatically disabled if you do not activate your new Visa card.
What will change
- Your card number, expiration date, PIN and security code
- You’ll need to update your card information for recurring payments like utilities, streaming services and other regular bills that are paid automatically from your debit card
What will stay the same
- Your basic account terms
- Our commitment to your security and satisfaction
- Contactless Chip Card technology – Allows Tap-to-Pay transactions at any merchant that accepts contactless payments
- Surcharge free ATM Network – Visa Plus Alliance ATM Network can be used surcharge free
- New card activation and PIN management system
Q: Why will I be receiving a new card?
A: We’re transitioning our debit cards from MasterCard to Visa, which provides many valuable features and benefits. We hope you’ll enjoy the enhanced services of your new Visa card.
Q: When will I receive my new card?
A: If you currently use a GBC Bank debit card, you should receive your new Visa debit card on or about April 17, 2023. (If you do not receive your card, please contact us!) This new card will replace your current, MasterCard debit card.
Q: How will I activate my new card?
A: Your new Visa debit will have a sticker with a toll-free number. Call from the phone number we have on file for you and your card will be activated. You will be given an option to set up your preferred PIN. If you call from an unrecognized number, you will complete a verification process to continue activation. We can also activate your card and change your PIN at any of our branch locations.
Q: What if I’m going to be out of town in mid-April?
A: If you receive your new card before you leave, please activate it and use the new Visa debit card. If you leave prior to receiving the new card and are not going to be back for an extended period, please contact a bank Customer Service Representative to make other arrangements.
Q: Will the Fraud Center still monitor my transactions for fraud?
A: Yes, you may be contacted by SMS text, email, or automated calling to verify questionable transactions, just as it does today.
- Confirm Fraud and the card will be shut off (Hot carded) and a new car issued
- Confirm the transaction is valid and the card will be reactivated
Q: What will happen with automatic/recurring bill payments on my card?
A: Once you receive your new card, you’ll need to provide your new card number, expiration date, and possibly the security code to merchants and service providers who regularly bill this card.